I am grateful to you all for your answers to my questions. I tried to answer your questions but sometimes I failed to post my answers on some of your blogs and sometimes I was too busy to do it. However, I will put my efforts more on doing that from now on.
My seventh question is about whether we English teachers should have grammatical knowledge on our mother tongue. We know pretty much about English grammar but generally not that much about Korean grammar. I'm wondering whether you think we have to command large Korean vocabulary and use correct Korean grammar. When I listened to Heeil's translation of some excerpts from Joel's books, I was impressed by his good word choice. Have you ever studied Korean grammar since you graduated from the university?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi the most integral lady!
I don't think it's necessary. We are busy learning only English. But the more knowledgeable, the better. I read in the newspaper about a high school student who won the first prize in an English Contest. She said, " Reading a wide range of Korean literature helps me a lot in the English Contest.
Well, hi, Therese!
Your question makes me think many things. Actually, as an English teacher, I've always focused on English (grammar) and urged my students to study (only) English hard, even though sometimes I saw them using poor Korean. Also I experienced a lot of students have difficulty in finding out appropriate Korean words when they translate English sentences into Korean.
These days, almost everyone wants to study English. People want to be English master, but they don't pay attention to Korean.
I think, as a teacher, we have to try to use right Korean in our class, and unconsciously students will be influenced by us.
Post a Comment